First, you need to make sure that you are already doing all the advice for teams with a small number of employees and average workload. And then start making improvements. Next, you can start with the recommendations that we will share with you in this article. So, what do you need to do within Devops methodology if you want to rationally develop a large project that needs tight control and optimization.
- Automatically deploy the entire infrastructure using software methods. You need to be able to create, for example, 20 new cloud servers with one click, enter them into the already formed cluster, automatically configure all services and direct traffic to them.
- Automate not only the creation of servers, but also all parts of the infrastructure. This includes data warehouses, networks, load balancers, rules for server communication over the network, access rights. In general, everything. Modern cloud providers allow managing software tools not only servers, but also everything in general. After all, it is not enough to be able to create a server from a script, you still need to put it in the right network, tie it to the right data stores and give the right access rights. All this, of course, does not need to be done by hand.
- Provide absolute fault tolerance. The monitoring systems should instantly detect failures and react on their own. For example, automatically replace dead servers with new ones just created. Or redirect traffic from the data center with a dropped connection to another, working. All of this sounds complicated and expensive, but there are already ready-made cloud solutions that allow your infrastructure to survive any natural or man-made disasters without losing performance and preserving all user data.
- Monitor and respond to all security incidents. For example, attempts at hacking or strange activities in the system (numerous wrong password entries, strange money write-offs, strange order for 100,000 refrigerators per address or increased number of logins from Central Africa at exactly 3 a.m.).
- Do a lot of tests. Tests and even more tests. Load tests. Speed tests. Smoke tests to check the performance of new versions of combat servers. Tests of subsystem interaction.
- Conducting exercises and simulations of emergency operations. For example, kill a server in a cluster once a week and watch how the system manages to work after losing one machine. Or two machines. Or two machines when the network in the data center collapses. As your business grows, the number of operations in your system grows, and any downtime for technical reasons will cause user resentment, loss of revenue and reputation costs. Businesses must operate in conditions of any failure.
Who should do it?
These tasks should be assigned to a fully qualified team of DevOps engineers. And it is highly desirable to integrate this team with all developers and project testers. It is also necessary to allocate a separate infrastructure for the needs of these engineers – for example, their own separate monitoring clusters and their own log collection clusters. In this situation, you will be helped by professional devops services, which can offer their assistance in solving the task. With the help of such specialists, you will have a real chance to quickly optimize all internal processes and count on excellent results. So you just need to be more attentive to this topic and immediately find a competent company with which it would be convenient for you to work. Fortunately, it’s not that hard to do. The modern Devops services market can offer you many attractive solutions that will be most effective for you in this situation.